Small potatoes

They say my generation has a problem. We grew up with reality TV and thus are all expecting to be discovered for our multitude of "talents" without really having to work for it. Our overwhelming sense of entitlement is shameful at best and yet, not wholly unwarranted.

With little more than my dimples to thank, I have been offered a paid internship with a food consulting company. (Just kidding, I'd like to think my articulated and overwhelming passion for all things food has a little something to do with it as well.) Once an airline food provider, Flying Food Group is now responsible for the take away refrigerated items at Starbucks. The refreshing parfaits? Thank Flying Food. The tuna sandwich that employs the protective moisture barrier of lettuce? Flying Food is the genius behind that too. My role there will be assisting the research and development chef as he comes up with innovative ideas and rolls out new products. Creative meets kitchen, just my cup of tea.

I'll be honest. I wasn't really "discovered". I have Katie's aunt Nancy to thank for this. Even more so than discovery it appears that connections make the world go round. I'm incredibly grateful to have made this one. The twist to all of this tasty d-lite (East Coasters, you like that?) is that I will be starting on April 23rd...in Seattle. Some of you know that I live in San Francisco. Which, while also beginning with the letter 'S' is not actually the same city. Sure enough I will be moving out of my amazing apartment, away from my amazing roommates and many good friends, towards what I hope will be an incredible learning experience that will confirm that this insanity about food is justified.

I imagine I'll keep writing here; although chances are it won't be quite the outlet it has been. I hear Seattle has a pretty vibrant food scene and if any of you have great ideas about what you would like to find at a Starbucks walk-up counter, you just comment away and I'll pass it onto the R&D guru.

Thanks for your support thus far. If you are in Seattle and in need of a restaurant recommendation, give me until May 10th to get the lay of the land, then holler. If you are from Seattle or in Seattle now and know a thing or two, do tell my friend, do tell.

3 comments:

Kiko said...

Jenais, I'm so excited for you! I don't know if you read your comments, but this is huge- goodbye ideas of santa fe, hello rainy city (I've wanted to go to seattle forever!)

zoe_inCali said...

creative meets kitchen - congratulations congratulations! and I do believe your dimples also might have had something to do with it.

side note: props to the tasti-D shout out (i, for one, am addicted like its crack).

Buzz said...

Awesome news! I can't picture a better situation for you, that's just plain awesome.

As for the Starbucks Takaways, I'll have to think about it, but rest assured I'll get back to you.

Take care and congrats!


-buzz